Monday, December 21, 2009

It must be ancient...

A lot of food was consumed over the past few weeks and as a last ditch effort to undue all the damage, we decided to go for a walk along the sandy beaches of Tantura/Dor. We reached the end of one enclave and had the choice of walking over big stones around the peninsula or up a staircase to the top. We opted for the staircase, at which time, Roisin jokingly said that those big stones are probably part of some ancient past. Sure enough, when we reached the top, there was a little sign stating that this was once an ancient Roman establishment.


The ancient Roman ruins...


Shallow pools surrounded us...


We were so happy to stumble across an ancient site as this...


But then...I was attacked by swarms of mosquitos, most likely, a strand dating back to the Jurassic Era. Not only did it end the site seeing quickly, it also ended the walk, which now turned into a wild dash for survival!

I ran like the wind back to the beach. Once I thought I was out of danger, I assessed the damage. I was covered head to toe in painful, itching red bumps, which were morphing into mountains of their own as the Jurassic poisin set in.

But then again...the swarm came for me from over the hill. I wasn't free yet. A wave of genuis thought came to mind, and the next thing I knew, I was in my undies in the seawater. Come and get me now, you bloodsuckers!

During this time, Roisin took her time strolling to where I was. She was seriously caffeine-deprived, having just decided to kick her coffee addiction not a day earlier. Nonetheless, she didn't have to break a sweat, as the mosquitos clearly favoured someone else. Luckily, this didn't stop her from coming into the sea too. Here we were, two bathing beauties! This apparently offered an open invitation for the older gent with a fishing rod nearby to also ditch his clothing and go for a swim.

Memories.

The joke now stands that if you see anything that might resemble something ancient in Israel, it probably is.


No comments:

Post a Comment