Monday, January 25, 2010

Capilano

The Capilano-Pacific Trail runs from the foot of Capilano River, up along the west side of the river canyon, until it reaches the water dam. Lucky for me, the beginning of this trail is less than 10 minutes away by foot from where I live.

The other day, I hiked this trail with a friend. Although it rained non-stop, it was a fun outing. I even got to try out my new rainproof outfit!


Christmas lights are still up...


One of many creeks...


The wet environment provides
perfect conditions for mold & fungus...


Meet the river...


Giant ferns are plentiful along the trail...
(Sorry, the photo is out of focus!!)


Mud...


Mud? Clay? It felt rubbery when I touched it...


One of the very few Giant Firs left...


Looking up at Cleveland Dam Falls...


Looking down Cleveland Dam Falls...


The water just came roaring down...


The calming serenity of Cleveland Dam
with Grouse Mountain as the backdrop...

Close to the dam is a Chinese Restaurant called 'Capilano Heights'. My family has been going to this restaurant for close to 30 years. We have been coming so often (paricularly, when I was still in elementary/high school) that we actually have our own table - in the corner - and the waitors already know that there is no need to give us menus, as they already know our "usuals", right down to adding cashew nuts to my favourite snow-pea, vegetable and prawn stirfry. I am also knicknamed "Princess" by a particular waitor, who will aways remember me as the brat who refused to sit in any high-seat other than the pink one. For years, this pink high-seat haunted my every visit until one day it was gone! To this day, the waitor gives me advice on how to spend as much of my father's money as possible and how to be successful in life (i.e. marry a rich man like himself). At the end of every meal, I steal a couple of maraschino cherries on the way out; it's tradition!

After hiking all the way up, a well-deserved bowl of pea and egg swirl soup was consumed before making the trek back down the river!



No comments:

Post a Comment